Breakfast Turkey Sausage Sandwich
When living in New York City, there are three establishments essential to know in your neighborhood: the closest dry cleaner, the closest liquor store and where you can rely on for a delectable breakfast sandwich when you're too hungover to get out of bed.
After years of disappointing deliveries, where the sandwich either didn't live up to expectation or customized ingredients were just simply forgotten, I decided that it was time to be the change that I wanted to see. A wise man once said, life is like a sandwich - you have to fill it with the very best ingredients. And for me, this sandwich is just that, so it is time to think beyond just the bacon, the egg and the cheese.
Truth be told, I had a love/hate relationship with my spice cabinet for months, but finally cracked the code by experimenting with different ingredients and flavors, allowing me to now present a low-fat breakfast pattie that hits all the right notes. What is great about this recipe is that it yields anywhere between six and eight patties, allowing for days of a quick, ready and reliable breakfast.
(Serving Size - 6-8 breakfast patties)
For the Turkey Breakfast Sausage:
- White Lean Ground Turkey - 1 lb.
- Brown Sugar - 1/2 tbsp.
- Sage - 1 tsp.
- Marjoram - 1 tsp.
- Sweet Paprika - 1/2 tsp.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic Powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Unsalted Butter - 1 tbsp.
- S&P (1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper)
For the Sandwich:
- Whole Wheat English Muffins, 1, 6-pack
- Organic, Free-Range Eggs, 1 dozen
- Avocado, 2 whole, peeled and seeded
- Heirloom Tomato, 1 large, sliced
1. In a small bowl, add all dried spices and mix well
2. In a larger bowl, add 1 lb. ground turkey
3. Add spices to large bowl with turkey and mix well with hands
4. Form evenly into patties (about 3/4 the size of the palm of your hand)
5. In a large skillet, add half of the 1 tbsp. of unsalted butter over medium-to-high heat
6. Once warm, sauté patties for approximately 5 minutes per side
7. To English muffin, add sausage, egg, tomato and avocado
8. Add dash of salt and pepper and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks:
- Shelf Life: About 3-4 days, refrigerated in an airtight container
- Shredded Asiago or Pepperjack cheese are both great additions
- Corn tortillas make for the perfect gluten free alternative to an English muffin