Turkey Chili is the definition of a classic crowd pleaser. Often it is equated with Sundays, football and fall – but in my opinion, I could eat this version whether it be cozy on the couch in January or at a backyard BBQ in July. The best part about any chili recipe is that you just add the ingredients to the pot and let them do their thing! It is great to make when you’re working from home or just feel like having a lazy day with your AppleTV. This recipe yields a good portion size, which makes it the perfect healthy meal prep for the days ahead. The hearty mix of vegetables and lean ground turkey meat, seasoned with spicy, deep flavors make this a favorite to cook for guests at your next gathering – but after you taste it, you may not want to share.
The Break Down:
(Serving Size: Approx. 6 to 8 servings)
- White Lean Ground Turkey – 2 lbs.
- Sweet Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Red Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
- Red Bell Pepper – 1, chopped
- Yellow Pepper – 1, chopped
- Jalapeno Pepper – 2, chopped
- Black Beans – 1 15 oz. can, washed and drained
- Red Kidney Beans – 1 15 oz. can, washed and drained
- Cannellini Beans – 1 15 oz. can, washed and drained
- San Marzano Diced Tomatoes – 1 28 oz. can
- Tomato Paste – 1 6oz. can
- Chili Powder – 3 tbsp.
- Cumin – 2 tbsp.
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 tsp.
- Sweet Paprika - 1 tsp.
- Turmeric – 1 tsp.
- Dried Oregano – 1 tsp.
- Red Wine Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro – 1 bunch, chopped (optional)
- EVOO – 2 tbsp.
1. Heat 2 tbsp. of EVOO in large pot over medium heat
2. Once EVOO is fragrant, add onions and season with 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. black pepper
3. Add the minced garlic cloves, bell peppers and jalapenos
4. Include ground turkey, season the pot mixture with all additional dry spices and mix
5. Add 1 can of tomato paste, diced tomatoes and dash of salt and pepper
6. Add all beans to the mixture and red wine vinegar, then mix ingredients and raise heat
7. Once pot ingredients start to bubble, bring heat to low and let simmer covered for 45 minutes
8. Stir occasionally over the 45 minutes
9. Top with fresh, chopped cilantro and enjoy
Tips & Tricks:
- Keep refrigerated in air-sealed container for 48 to 72 hours
- eseed and only use 1 jalapeño if you do not enjoy spice
- I like to use Frank's RedHot Sauce for this recipe, but choose to use whatever you prefer
- Enjoy chili by itself, over some cauliflower rice or with tortilla chips