Every family has their own special recipe for tomato sauce and very often, this recipe will vary slightly between family members. I remember when I was younger, my late great aunt used to put rabbit in hers to create flavor. The sauce tasted damn good, but the thought of that just makes me sad. For my recipe, I build the flavors from a vegetable base making for a hearty, healthy and thick tomato sauce. To add an extra kick of taste, I include a parmigiana reggiano rind. In under an hour you have inexpensive sauce that is tastier, more fulfilling and far better for you than any store-bought version. Toss the sauce with your favorite pasta or jar it up and freeze up to six months it to have in the house the next time you have a craving.
(About 7 cups)
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - 2, San Marzano (if available - substitution brands ok)
- Tomato Paste - 1, 6 oz. can
- Sweet Onion - 1, minced
- Carrot - 1, minced
- Celery - 1 stalk, minced
- Bay Leaves - 2
- Parmigiano Reggiano - rind of 1 quarter-pound block
- Garlic - 2 cloves - minced
- EVOO - 3 tbsp.
1. In a large pot, add 3 tbsp. of EVOO over medium heat
2. Once EVOO is fragrant, add minced onion and sprinkle with salt, allowing onion to sweat
3. As onion begins to cook down, add the two minced garlic cloves and mix
4. Include carrot and celery. Add additional dash of salt and pepper and let cook down (6-8 minutes)
5. Add the two bay leaves and tomato paste. Stir and let paste mix down slightly (2-3 minutes)
6. Add two cans of diced tomato and additional teaspoon of salt and pepper
7. Raise heat to high and bring sauce to boil, then lower heat, add cheese rind and let simmer for 45 minutes
8. Remove the bay leaves and cheese rind. Now serve and enjoy :)
Tips & Tricks:
- If you prefer a more smooth sauce, place sauce in blender after simmering and puree
- Most importantly - always remember to finish cooking your pasta IN your sauce. To do so, stop cooking your pasta 1 minute prior to the cooking instructions on box. Drain pasta water, leaving about 1/8 of a cup in with the pasta. Add desired sauce amount to the pot of pasta and cook over medium heat for 90 seconds. Toss the sauce in with the pasta to coat the pasta evenly.