Protein-Packed Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is my jam. What is truly great about it is that there is no right or wrong recipe, everyone seems to have their own little finesse that makes it unique. I remember my mom’s mom made a killer chicken salad growing up, but she would never fully disclose her recipe to me or anyone else. I would try to sneakily watch her play-by-play in the kitchen, but all I seem to remember is a giant tub of mayonnaise and some pickle juice. So rather than attempt a second-rate version of her recipe, I’ve created my own speciality incorporating some of my favorite things.
Now, mayonnaise is what we tend to find in store-bought chicken salads, but as we all know - a few scoops of mayo does about as much for our bodies as Glitter did for Mariah's bank account. Instead, I like to use a plain, non-fat greek yogurt mixed with dijon mustard. This provides a low-calorie tasty tang that doesn't sacrifice the traditional consistency. To add to the flavor, I throw in some crunchy, fresh green onion and a bit of minced garlic. And to round out the taste, I add some sweetness with raw, unsalted pistachios, and grapes.
Serve it as an open-faced sandwich, in individual lettuce wraps or just dig in with a fork and empty belly.
The Break Down:
(Serving Size: Approximately 3 sandwiches)
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – 3
- Fage Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt – 1, 7 oz.
- Dijon Mustard – 1.5 tbsp.
- Red Grapes – 1 cup, chopped in half
- Garlic – 1 clove, minced
- Garlic Powder – ½ tbsp.
- Green Onion – 3, chopped
- Pistachios – 1/2 cup, raw and unsalted
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides on medium tray
3. Cook chicken at 425 degrees for 35 minutes
4. Let chicken cool on side plate
5. Once chicken has cooled, begin slicing to desired size and add to large bowl
6. After chicken has been sliced, add dash of salt and pepper, garlic powder and minced garlic
7. Mix ingredients and then add yogurt, dijon, green onion, grapes and pistachios. Mix again.
8. Top with additional dash of salt and pepper
9. Let cool for approx. 10-15 minutes in refrigerator
Tips & Tricks:
- Feeling lazy? Pull the meet from a large rotisserie chicken at your local grocery store! I won't tell.
- Not a pistachio fan? No problem. Raw, unsalted cashews or almonds are both great options
- Shelf-Life: 48 hours in a sealed, airtight container in the fridge. Great for leftovers!