Wild Mushroom, Arugula & Quinoa Salad (Vegan)
Serving Size (4 to 6 servings)
- Shiitake Mushrooms - 1 lb., cleaned and roughly chopped
- Arugula - 4 cups, washed
- Quinoa - 1 cup, uncooked
- Walnuts - 1 cup, toasted
- Dried Cranberries - 1 cup
- Dijon Mustard - 1 tbsp.
- Balsamic Vinegar - 1 tbsp.
- Vegetable Stock - 2 cups
- EVOO - 3 tbsp.
1. In small pot, add 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of vegetable stock to boil
2. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender (about 15 to 20 minutes) and set aside
3. In a dry sauté pan, add the walnuts and place over medium heat (be sure to flatten nuts to single layer)
4. Once you can smell the nuts toasting, toss and turn them to single layer to toast other side
5. Pour the nuts onto a paper towel or plate to reserve and add later
6. In a large, deep sauté pan add 2 tbsp. of EVOO over medium-high heat
7. Add the mushrooms, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, mix and cook
8. As mushrooms begin to lightly brown (about 5 to 7 minutes), add the cooked quinoa, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries and arugula
9. Mix until arugula has wilted. Set aside and serve immediately
Tips & Tricks:
- Quinoa can be substituted for brown rice, farro or even pasta! If you go the pasta route, cook pasta as the instructions direct and then add at same step as you would the quinoa. Touch up with the juice of lemon and serve as a delicious and hearty pasta salad