Serving Size (6 to 8 servings)
- Red Lentil or Chickpea Penne/Fusilli - 2 boxes
- Eggplant - 1 large, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- Sweet Onion - 1 medium, diced
- Portobello Mushrooms - 2 cups, diced
- Red Bell Pepper - 1, diced
- Grape Tomatoes - 1/2 pint, halved
- Diced Tomatoes - 1, 32 oz. can
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Dry White Wine - 1/2 cup
- White Wine Vinegar - 2 tbsp.
- Dried Oregano - 1/2 tbsp.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - 1/2 tbsp.
- Rosemary - 6 sprigs
- Basil - 1 cup
- EVOO - 4 tbsp.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. On a large sheet tray, lay out the sliced eggplant. Lightly sprinkle with salt and drizzle sheet with EVOO. Once oven has reached 400 degrees, add eggplant to oven and let cook for 18-20 minutes (or until eggplant has softened and lightly browned) then set aside
3. Once eggplant is done in the oven, add 3 tbsp. of EVOO into a large pot with minced garlic
5. Raise heat to medium, allowing the garlic to infuse the oil. Once the garlic and oil become fragrant, add onions with a dash of salt and pepper
6. As the onions begin to turn color, add the mushrooms, additional dash of salt and pepper and the crushed red pepper flakes, stirring occasionally
7. As mushrooms soften and onions become translucent, add red bell pepper, eggplant slices, halved grape tomatoes, dried oregano, fresh rosemary and basil, being sure to mix and break up the pieces of eggplant with your spoon (or cooking utensil)
8. Add the can of diced tomatoes, white wine, white wine vinegar and additional pinch of salt and pepper and raise heat to high. Once sauce begins to bubble, lower heat and let simmer - stirring occasionally (approximately 30 minutes)
9. As sauce simmers, bring a medium sized pot of water to boil. Right before bubbling, generously add salt for pasta. Cook pasta to al dente or approximately in one minute less time than directed on box. Drain the pasta, serving about 1 cup of the salted water
10. Directly add the al dente pasta and salted water to the sauce and raise heat to medium high, continuously stirring, ensuring to coat the pasta evenly (approximately 1 minute)
11. Top the coated pasta with fresh basil and serve