Cilantro Lime Chicken
Growing up in an Italian family, the wooden spoon was always a more prevalent form of punishment than a bar of soap in the mouth. I can't accurately attest to the taste of soap, but I can't imagine it being pleasant to the pallet. For this reason, I can't knock those who cry of a "soapy" taste when eating cilantro. After all, it is an inherited gene.
Chicken breast is a blank canvas that can be ramped up with the right remedy and cilantro is one of my favorite herbs to help bring a powerful pop to my recipes. When I am in the mood for a protein with some south-of-the-border inspiration, this Cilantro Lime Chicken always comes to mind. The quick and easy marinade incorporates fresh cilantro and lime juice with key touches of other sweet and smokey flavors. The end result is the perfect mix of spice and tang, that comes alive all due to that delicate, lacy green that to me, always brings the perfect pungent punch.
(Serving Size - 4 chicken breasts)
- Organic Chicken Breast - 2, butterflied
- Cilantro - 1/2 bunch, chopped
- Lime - 2
- Red Wine Vinegar - 2 tbsp.
- Sweet Paprika - 1 tbsp.
- Chili Powder - 1 tbsp.
- Shallot - 1 medium, chopped
- Jalapeno - 1 medium, chopped (optional)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- EVOO - 2 tbsp.
1. After butterflying the breasts, season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper
2. Add chicken to mixing bowl with cilantro, juice of one lime, vinegar, paprika and chili powder
3. Mix ingredients evenly, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes
4. After 30 minutes, add 2 tbsp. of EVOO to sauté pan over medium-high heat
5. As oil becomes fragrant add chopped shallot, jalapeño (if using) and garlic cloves
6. As shallots and jalapeños begin to soften, add chicken to pan
7. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side
8. Scrape the pan and top on cooked chicken
9. Top with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedge
Tips & Tricks:
- Serve chicken with additional lime wedge to add an extra kick of citrusy flavor
- Add some avocado slices on the side to provide a fresh coolness to each bite
- Brown or Cauliflower rice make a great side that can absorb the delicious juices of the dish