Forget about The Sopranos, The Real Housewives of New Jersey and even Snooki. Nothing celebrates the fusion of Italian-American culture greater than Chicken Parmesan. Now when it comes to ordering this dish out at a restaurant, the name of this dish pretty much says it all. Typically the chicken is dredged heavily in breadcrumbs, deep-fried and then topped with so much Parmesan it almost becomes a hunt to try and find the protein in the dish. Well here at Salu, it is all about keeping things fresh, healthy and flavorful, so the breadcrumbs have been eliminated and the cheese has been cut significantly, to make for a lighter take on the staple.
Keep in mind that every good Chicken Parm needs a delicious sauce, so be sure to have some of Salu's classic Tomato Sauce on-hand to complete the dish!
(Yield 4 Cutlets)
- Organic Chicken Breast - 2, butterflied
- Egg - 1
- Non-Dairy Milk - 2 tbsp. (Cashew Milk used here)
- Rosemary - 1 sprig
- Thyme - 1 sprig
- Garlic Powder - 1/2 tbsp.
- Italian Parsley - 1/2 bunch
- Parmigiano Reggiano - 1/3 cup, grated
- EVOO - 2 tbsp.
- Tomato Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Butterly chicken in half starting from the thickest part of the breast
2. If necessary, pound the breasts to be about 1/2 inch thick
3. Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder
4. In a large bowl or deep dish, mix the egg with milk
5. Heat 2 tbsp. of EVOO over medium-high heat in oven-safe pan
6. Coat the seasoned chicken in the egg and milk mixture
6. Add the chicken to the heated pan with the olive oil and sprinkle in the rosemary and thyme
7. Cook chicken on both sides for 3 minutes
8. Add desired amount of Salu's tomato sauce to pan with chicken
9. Sprinkle Parmigiano Reggiano over the chicken and add parsley
10. Put pan in oven for 6-8 minutes or until cheese has melted and chicken is cooked through