Butternut Squash Buffalo Mac & Cheese
Serving Size - 6-8
- Butternut Squash - Halved, seeds removed and roasted at 450 degrees until lightly browned
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk - 1, 15 oz. can
- Vegan Grated Parmesan Cheese - 1/2 cup
- Vegan Gouda Cheese - 1/2 cup
- Banza Pasta Elbows - 2 boxes
- Nutritional Yeast - 3 tbsp.
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Frank's Buffalo Red Hot Sauce - 1 cup
- Vegetable Stock - 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower - 1 head, chopped finely
- Pumpkin Seeds - 1/3 cup
- Sweet Paprika - 1 tbsp.
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Red Pepper Flakes - 1 tsp.
- EVOO - 4 tbsp.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. While oven is heating, chop the cauliflower and add 2 tbsp. of EVOO over medium heat into a deep pot along with crushed red pepper flakes
3. As oil becomes fragrant, add the cauliflower and a pinch of salt and mix around
4. Add the vegetable stock and raise heat to high, mixing frequently for 3-5 minutes or until vegetable stock has reduced
5. Remove the cauliflower from heat and set aside in a bowl. Immediately pour over half of the reserved Frank's Buffalo Red Hot Sauce and mix, letting the cauliflower absorb the sauce
6. As the cauliflower marinates, begin removing the cooled squash meat from its skin
7. Add 2 more tbsp. of EVOO over medium heat, along with shallot and a dash of salt and pepper
8. Begin boiling water for the pasta, remembering to salt generously before adding the pasta in
9. As the shallot softens, add in the garlic cloves and continue to mix
10. Once shallot is translucent, add in the butternut squash and mash with a wooden spoon
11. Add the sweet paprika, fennel, salt and pepper and mix (2 minutes)
12. Pour in the unsweetened coconut milk, gouda and parmesan then raise heat to high and mix frequently
13. Add in the buffalo cauliflower and additional Frank's sauce and stir
14. Include the cooked pasta and 1/3. cup of reserved pasta water
15. Raise heat to high and mix with the pasta in the sauce, allowing the sauce to stick
16. Remove from pan and top with pumpkin seeds and enjoy