Avocado Toast (Vegan)
Did avocados exist in the 90's? Obviously this is a joke, but I certainly can't recall avocado toast (or avocados for that matter) even being on the radar when I was growing up. You know what was the trendy toast to eat back then? Peanut Butter and Fluff.
When was the last time you thought about Fluff?
I'm off topic.
The truth is that as the health craze carried across the globe over the last decade or so, as did word of the health benefits of avocados. They are packed with fiber, help lower levels of bad cholesterol and are terrific for your skin! Before you jump to a strictly avocado diet, be sure to know that similar to olive oil, they are high in the good fats (known as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated). So it goes without saying that you should definitely moderate your intake of avocados, because a bowl of guacamole a day, don't keep that belly away.
That being said, this recipe is a favorite of mine for any time of day. The avocado is brought to life with mild spices, a dash of lemon and the addition of the tomato - which adds a light sweetness to each bite. Avocado toast is something that you definitely can have fun with in the kitchen, so play around with your favorite spices and add on what makes you happy. One thing that I can guarantee is that after seeing how inexpensive and easy it can be to make, you will never dare spend money on some overpriced avocado toast again!
The Break Down:
(Serving Size: 2 pieces of toast)
- Ezekiel Bread (or bread of choice) - 2 slices
- Avocado - 1 large, halved, seeded and peeled
- Roma Tomato - 1 medium, sliced
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - 1/4 tsp.
- Sweet Paprika - 1/4 tsp.
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp.
- Lemon - Juice of 1/4 of lemon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/2 tbsp.
- Black Pepper - 1/8 tsp.
- Sea Salt - for seasoning, to taste
- Slice your tomato, set aside on a side plate and lightly salt
- In a small bowl, add avocado, spices, black pepper, lemon juice and mix
- Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Top with salted tomatoes.
- Drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with sea salt to taste
Tips & Tricks:
- Bread can be a tough thing to give up, but if you are trying to take a healthy turn in your diet - I would suggest switching to Ezekiel bread. A former roommate and great friend of mine introduced me to it a few years back and I actually crave it now over wheat or rye. Ezekiel bread has no added sugars and contains a mix of grains and legumes. However if you can't find it in your local market or simply want to use what is in the house, this will still work just fine for you!
- Mashing the avocado is not necessary. You can simply slice the avocado into strips and place the strips on the toasted piece of bread. Then top the bread and enjoy!