Vegetable Stuffed Zucchinis (Vegetarian)
The Break Down:
Serving Size (will fill 3 halved zucchinis)
- Zucchini - 3, halved and scooped
- Lentils - 1 cup, rinsed
- Portobello Mushrooms - 1 cup, diced
- Eggplant - 1 cup, diced
- Red Bell Pepper - 1, diced
- Sweet Onion - 1, diced
- Kale - 1, chopped
- Parsley - 1/3 bunch, chopped
- Lemon - Juice of 1, zest of 1
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Vegetable Stock - 2 cups
- Crushed Red Chili Peppers - 1 tsp.
- Dry White Wine - 1/3 cup
- Unsalted Butter - 1 tbsp.
- Pecorino Romano - grated, 1/4 cup
- EVOO - 2 tbsp.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Add a drizzle of EVOO and to each halved, scooped zucchini and pinch of salt
3. In a small pot, bring vegetable stock to a boil
4. Add rinsed lentils, turn down heat to low and cover. Cook lentils covered for 25 minutes.
5. Once oven has reached 400, place halved zucchinis on an oven-safe, non-stick tray for 5 minutes then remove and set aside
6. After lentils have finished cooking, drain any excess liquid and set aside
7. In a large sauté pan, add 2 tbsp. of EVOO over medium heat and crushed red pepper flakes
8. Once pan has warmed, add minced garlic and onion and add dash of salt and pepper to season
9. As onions begin to turn translucent, raise heat to medium-high, add lentils, white wine, butter and lemon juice. Mix.
10. Add mushrooms, eggplant, red bell pepper, kale and parsley. Add additional dash of salt and pepper and mix.
11. As vegetables soften, include half of the grated Pecorino Romano to pan and mix in
12. With a spoon, add filling to each zucchini and top with additional Pecorino Romano
13. Place in oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese has softened